Saturday, September 3, 2011

The Importance of Being Earnest

by Oscar Wilde

This is one wonderful classic that I read several weeks ago. Just got around to writing about it because I've been so hectic with studies. Well, my recollection about it might be a bit hazy now. So short synopsis from good 'ol wiki here.

First, I did not even know that this was a play. I thought it was some highfalutin literature on life in Victorian England and several people being quite pompous about life and preaching how we should live. I thought they'd be teaching us how to live life, and that is by being earnest.

Oh yes, I was very wrong. This play was funny from start to finish. At times it read a little like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, the way the dialogues developed. I would definitely go see it if they play it here. And probably would read it again sometime, nice short read.

No comments: