Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Cooks' Book: For the Cook Who's Best at Everything

by Louise Dixon

Read this book on Sunday. Well, it's not fiction obviously. It's a good book for understanding the basics of how to use ingredients, cuts of meats, how to prepare seafood etc. It gave me ideas of how to cook better with minimal amount of effort. I'm trying to move away from processed foods. And this book really helps in that. For instance things like sour cream, Hollandaise and mayonnaise are so easy to make, I think I'll just make my own next time.Anyways, it's better to do the processed yourself, ensures the nutrients are kept and have higher content in the food eaten.

Also teaches how to decrease the waste that would be generated from produce. Like for instance the leftover from 1 recipe can be used for another recipe. And if some fresh herbs are going bad what you can do. Also the tips for preserving produce. For example, I did not know some produce cannot be placed with some others, because they make them go bad faster. Also, some should be put in the fridge, some should not, and ways to preserve freshness in your ingredients.

Overall, a good guide for cookins basics. It's probably a sort of Cooking for Idiots kind of book, but for me, very informative.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this sounds interesting. i think i need to get one too. -Lingsii-

Ecner said...

yeah, it's good. go get it. I got it for 10 dollars here, in a bargain book shop