Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Meeting the quota & Expectations

related repost from other blog.

I have for the past few months tried to read about a book a week, and well, although I enjoy it, I have been reading books that are fast-paced and thrilling. But I have been neglecting the more substantial, meaty books. So I think I shall give up on the 1 book a week and go with whatever books is beautiful. I mean there is no meaning to pressure myself to finish reading quick if I don't enjoy it. Say like eating, some foods you just need to eat slowly and savour. So reading Tess of D'Ubervilles and Dante's Divine Comedy, I will read this very very slowly to get the full effect of the beautiful words. And be totally immerse in that world. I mean, the important thing is not the amount I read but the quality of transportation to that dimension and how it is there. Reading fast will make it a horrible experience.

I guess the same goes for my story writing. Stop with the expectation on myself. I should just stop thinking of what I think people will accept and what is nice, what is cliche what is not. If my story is cliche so be it, but I need to have it be totally organic to me and be acceptable to me to be a story that I myself would read again without the apprehension that this story is pretentious, not genuine. There needs to be my heart, soul and honesty of my writing. Be it twisted or horrible, it is still my story. If I am happy with it, all I can do is hope other people appreciate it. I rather have fewer people appreciate my work than be a sellout.

No comments: