Sunday, February 21, 2010

Burnt Piano



Justin Fleming

I love plays. I just freaking love plays. Just watched this one at Garrick Theater. The story is something as follows. Just copied the description off the program.

Paris, 1989. Karen Idlewild must meet Sam Beckett - for the most unusual of reasons. On a visit to Paris, and against the instinctive warnings of her father, Karen takes her nine-year-old son, Jonah, on a bizarre quest to meet Beckett - no easy mission, as the man is vigorously protected by his wife, Suzanne, and others. Buried in the adventure is Karen's need to explain a mysterious, dreadful and tragic moment in her past and that of her young son.

The story of the play was alright and had some very witty script. The actress doing the Karen character was wooden at times though, felt like she was just reciting lines. The character of Karen's father was quite well done though. And in between scenes there were piano playing parts, I thought that was lovely. At the end of the day, I don't really care much about some of the rigid acting. I just wanted to be moved into that world on that stage. And I was.

No comments: