Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sophie's World

by Jostein Gaarder

This book is about Sophie a 14 year old girl. Several week before turning 15, she received mysterious letters that introduces her to the wonders of philosophy. In this book she learns everything from the teachings of Aristotle, Plato, Socrates, through to Descartes, Locke, Marx, Darwin and of course many more in between. She also feels the strange presence of a shady major of the UN army and her correspondence with her daughter Hilde. She received letter between the major and her daughter which were mailed through Sophie. And through this, Sophie's life is threatened by these strange string of events.

This is the most wonderful book I have ever read. It is very well-written and the story is beautiful. If you were to ask me the books that were tipping points of my life, this would be one of them. It could be the most significant book I will ever have read because it has opened my eyes, my mind. It has revealed to me the wonders of philosophy.

*As this is a book review, more of my thoughts here.

2 comments:

cranberrypuddy said...

uwah.. imma go head over to kinokuniya or prolly MPH and get this book! lol. u made it sound so intriguing! :)

Ecner said...

Yes, it's an awesome book. I've read Solitaire Mystery and the Advent Calendar by him as well. And they're all lovely books. So I reckon any of his book are worth getting. I borrowed that from the library, now thinking to buy all his book when I go back!