Sunday, October 23, 2011

Angel Time

by Anne Rice

This is the first book of the Songs of the Seraphim Series. Short synopsis here.

I found this book a bit slow to start and actually thought of not reading through to finish. But after the first 50 pages things did picked up a bit and I carried on all the way to the end. It is typical Anne Rice style, in the way she narrates the story. I can also draw strong similarity between the main character here Toby O'Dare and that of Lestat and the like in the Vampire Chronicles series. Though, I do feel that this story is so thinly veiled in material that it did feel very pedestrian. It did not have the layer upon layer of complexity that The Vampire Chronicles had. I guess it is very difficult to write to the high level that is that. Probably also the subject matter is not that familiar to Rice as this topic of angels and the historical context in which it is set. Well, I just felt it was not as rich as the Vampire Chronicles. Well, I will still give the second book a try, perhaps that would fare better. But I am going to read some other books for now.

No comments: