Saturday, October 1, 2011

To Kill A Mockingbird

by Harper Lee

I bought this book, the 50 anniversary version of it. This book is a Pulitzer prize winner and amazing that I have not read such a classic till now. Well, actually there are many 'must read' books that I have still not read yet, so there you go.

Short synopsis from wiki here. This really is quite a simple story of kids growing up, but in the backdrop when black and white people were still very much segregated, the time of black slavery. The simplicity of the story simply makes the story of it better. I think the measure of a good piece of fiction is not only the plot and pacing, but the good writing style. This book is pretty direct and simple, but it just wants to make you read on. You just read on page to page without any rush, because each page is as beautiful as the last, as the next.

I see this book sort of like J.D. Salinger in terms of quality, obviously the style is very much different. But it is such a beautiful story. It really gives me motivation to read more book, everytime I read such a wonderful book.

No comments: