Sunday, October 16, 2011

Rich Brother, Rich Sister

by Robert Kiyosaki and Emi Kiyosaki

I bought this book end of last year because I've heard of Robert Kiyosaki and heard that he was pretty good with explaining motivational and financial generalities. But I found this books horrendous.

Well, first a short synopsis. This book is about the life paths of Robert and Emi Kiyosaki, they are brother and sisters. Robert is a successful enterpreneur, businessman and investor. He is the famous author of several books of the same vein as this I believe, books on investment, life, etc. His stories is about how he got to where he is today. Emi is a Buddhist nun, and this book looks at the other side of being rich, that is spiritually rich. This book also describes her life path. Thus the book finds similarities and contrasts between the two's life journeys.

Okay, not my review. I must say I have only read about 2/3 of this book. I cannot take any of it any more really, it is really not to my liking. For me, it is horrendous. Not my cup of tea at all. The book's concept in itself of the contrast between the material and spiritual pursuits of life is very good. However, the execution and explanation of concept I find to be very incognitive. As in I feel I am dumber for reading this book. I don't know why, Robert is such as successful person, and Emi is a Buddhist nun. I have great respect for what they have achieved in their life. But the reasons they explain for them doing what they do, and the logic behind it, that is simply wrong to me.

Here are several examples. First is connection made behind concepts on life. One thing was something on generalized principles. Robert speaks of having right and wrong answers. He says that the World is at war because there are issues like people believing in only one God and everyone's God is different. So that gives rise to tension and ultimately war. Then he goes on to say there are many ways of doing something, and not one single way is right. Up to this point I agree. Then he moves on to say, that is why we have a right hand and left hand, not a right hand and wrong hand. Then I think what is the point in that statement??? I know that is true, that we have a right and left hand. But then that is just words, there is no meaning behind it. Why would I call one hand the 'wrong' hand? It is empty statements. Oh, and this book is filled with plenty of gems like this.

Furthermore, there are so many inaccuracies in world principles in his statements. He makes sweeping generalization that are just not true. Well in his defense, he does say in the book he is the type of person that wants to win, and is not interested in being right. I personally do not think I am the person that want to be right, but it is like nails on chalkboard when I see statements in this book that are clearly so wrong.

Ah, this is turning into a raging post on the book. There is a plethora of other reasons wrong with this book but I cannot be bothered listing all of them out. I must say I tried my best to give it a chance. Heck, I read 200+ pages of it in hopes there is some gem buried in it. Indeed there were a few, but it is all buried in so much garbage I find it hardly worth the read. I'll end this post on this note. I had less moments of inspirations that I had moments of pure frustration. In essence, this book sucked for me. Waste of my time.

No comments: