Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Book Thief

by Marcus Zusak

There are great books. Then there are these books, which are on a level of their own. I actually read this book in about a hundred page and stopped reading it 2 years ago. But this time round, I did not stop. I did not know how I could have stopped then. This is one of the most moving books I have ever read.

The story is about a little German orphan, Liesel Meminger. Her little brother has died and she is adopted by the Hubermanns. This story is set in and around World War 2 Germany. Through her troubles, Liesel discovers the wonders of books and have the wonderful habit of stealing books. The story is narrated by Death.

This book had lots of moments which stirred my emotions. And for the last 50 pages or so, tears constantly rolled down my face. I will certainly read this book again. Wonderful.

...there would be punishment and pain, and there would be happiness, too. That was writing. (p557)

No comments: