Sunday, March 7, 2010

The Lunatic Next Door

To the Building Management


Dear Sir,

My name is Larry Henderson and I live in Block H. I think I'm a decent enough guy, I don't give my neighbors trouble and greet them every time I pass them in the hallway. Mrs. Dailly lives across me and we are on very good terms. Well, given she is a nervous creature and I can never tell what she is muttering half the time. I have lived in fairly stable financial conditions for the past seven years and take good care of my space and lead a healthy living. I also appreciate very much the well-maintained garden and well-provided eatery.

Now you must wonder sir why has this individual written to you telling about how well he is doing. I just liked to start by pointing out the things that the management has done well and I applaud your continuous diligence in these aspects. But all is not well. The pressing issue I wish the management to consider is the new tenant that has just moved into the space next to mine, a Mr. Edward Collins. During the day, I can hear incessant noise of things being thrown against the walls and someone jumping around. Also a horrible shrieking voice I could only think to be of Mr. Collins attempt of what I believe is singing. Once I approached Mr. Collins in the garden to discuss these issues. I was greeted with rudeness and he shoved me to the side. The squabble that ensued I fully regret.

I understand the management's desperation to fill the empty space left by the late Mr. Donnegan. So unfortunate for the boy to have his life ended in such a manner. Such a peculiar accident to be drowning in a sink of water. I was actually present to witness this and even attempted to revive Mr. Donnegan by releasing the water from his body by puncturing an airway for him to breathe. Even after this was done, Mr. Donnegan could not be saved. Though this being an unfortunate event, I believe it very poor judgment that the management should settle for such lowly an applicant to fill the late Mr. Donnegan's quarters. This affect not only immediately me for the reasons I have stated previously, but also that of my fellow neighbors who would surely not approve of Mr. Collins.

I impress you upon this last point if you are not as of yet completely convinced of your erroneous decision. During the night when all is quiet, I hear crying and screaming and laughing from Mr. Collins's room. The very first night this occurred I was very much frightened for my safety. I was hoping that this would stop but it seemed to continue for some time. There were knocks on Mr. Collins's door by some of my more impatient neighbors. This would calm the noises for a while but the noises would start again. The neighbors would knock on the door again and perhaps go into his room an persuade him to be quiet. I myself would never intrude upon another man's business in such an unbecoming hour but from this the management should clearly see this man is not really of sound mind.

I implore upon you sir to evict Mr. Collins from our complex. If no action is taken, I believe the situation might escalate. If this is the case, I fear I have no other option but to take this issue upon myself and find a resolution.

Yours sincerely,
Larry Henderson

















-------------------------St. Mary Mental Institution-----------------------